- Ground-motion model is not given here since it requires evaluation of a complex equation that cannot be
summarised. Derive model using an adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system and the random-effects
algorithm to split the variability into inter- and intra-event components. Provide details but these are not
- Characterise sites by V s,30: values 110–1540m∕s.
- Use data from the NGA-West2 database. Exclude earthquakes with focal depth > 25km and aftershocks.
Exclude non-free-field stations. Also exclude sites without measured V s,30. Most remaining data from
Japan, Taiwan and California.
- Provide cumulative distribution functions of dataset. 80% of data from 4.0 ≤ Mw ≤ 7.0, 10 ≤ rjb ≤ 200km
and 210 ≤ V s,30 ≤ 650m∕s.
- Data from 580 different sites.
- Examine residuals on normal probability plots and find that they conform to the lognormal distribution.
- Test robustness of result by re-deriving model using only half of records. Find predictions are almost
unchanged when using only half the records.
- Find limited evidence for nonlinear site amplification.